The Google keyboard or Gboard for Android, has received an update in the Play Store. The latest updates packs a lot of new features among other bug fixes and improvements.
If you have not been able to type in your spoken language until, and have been finding a way to so, well Google has added support for 20 new languages to the keyboard with support for transliteration. This means, for instance, if your friend speaks Spanish, and you speak Hindi. You can just type the words in Hindi as usual and Google will automatically translate it, suggest the appropriate term for you, to send to other party.
Here’s the list of new languages (with support for transliteration):
Apart from that, Google has also made improvements to usual Cut, copy, and paste options, so that you can edit the text easily. Resizing and repositioning the keyboard has also been added, best for bigger displays like Samsung Galaxy S8 or S8+.
What’s New in Gboard
- Cut, copy, and paste to edit text easily
- Resize and reposition keyboard
- New languages (with support for transliteration): Assamese, Bengali, Bodo, Dogri, Gujarati, Hindi, Kannada, Kashmiri, Konkani, Maithili, Malayalam, Manipuri, Marathi, Nepali, Odia, Punjabi, Sanskrit, Santali, Sindhi, Tamil, Telugu, Urdu
- Additional new languages: Kinyarwanda, Waray
- Bug fixes
And here are some Pro tips:
- Press and hold Enter to choose from hundreds of emoji in any app (Android 4.4+).
- Learns as you type: No need to manually add words to a personal dictionary. Type a word once and you can gesture type it or find it in suggestions next time. Long press a suggestion to remove it from your “learned words” or the keyboard dictionary.
- Sync your learned words across devices to improve suggestions (enable in Gboard Settings→ Dictionary → Sync learned words).
- Gesture cursor control: Slide your finger across the space bar to move the cursor.
- Gesture delete: Slide left from the delete key to quickly delete multiple words.
- Make the number row available all the time (enable in Settings → Preferences → Number Row)
- Symbols hints: Show quick hints on your keys to access symbols with a long press (enable in Gboard Settings → Preferences → Long press for symbols).
- One handed mode: On large screen phones, pin keyboard to the left or the right of the screen by long pressing on Enter and selecting the thumb icon.
- Fast symbols: Gesture from the “?123” key to temporarily switch to the symbols keyboard and insert a symbol.
- Fast capitalization: Gesture from the SHIFT key to a character to capitalize it.
- Themes: Choose a theme with or without key borders to suit your style.
Download the latest update from the store using the link below.
[appbox googleplay com.google.android.inputmethod.latin]